Have you been thinking about adding a kitchen sitting area for your guests to enjoy or as a family gathering space?
A kitchen sitting area is a great addition to any home. It is an easy and affordable space to create. You only need a table and a couple of chairs to make it a sitting area! It’s such an odd phenomenon that guests and family always congregate in the kitchen, so why not make the space even more comfortable.
Something else to consider. Are you having issues defining spaces in an open concept kitchen and family room? This is a struggle in my home. After living with just a bookcase/sofa table behind my couch, I decided I had a lot of unused space between my kitchen island and family room. It was the perfect space to add a sitting area that faced the kitchen and divided the room.
Remember how I relieve stress? I decorate! Remember my only child just left for college, so yes this space was a result of that upcoming change. What has been nice about this space is he and I both USED it a lot before he left. I sit in one chair and picture him in the other. It’s nice 🙂
How our Kitchen Sitting Area is Used
- Putting on and taking of shoes
- Morning coffee and evening wine
- Waiting area
- Conversation area (we will turn the bar stools to face the sitting area)
- Extra seating during parties
- Guests chat with me while I cook
- Read or surf the internet (I sit here a lot for that)
- Talking on the phone
A Sitting Area to Divide an Open Concept Kitchen and Family Room
A couple of Home Goods finds of mine had to be hauled back because it was 3 inches taller than the back of the couch and chairs that were 5 inches taller than the couch. Ouch! Let me help you avoid the issues I didn’t consider.
5 things to consider before creating a kitchen sitting area behind a couch to divide a room:
- Measure the length and height of your couch. KEEP it in YOUR WALLET and PHONE NOTES for shopping trips or shopping online.
- The total space you have to fill is the total of the couch + 4 to 6 inches for space between the table and each chair. (Example: Couch 83 inches + 2 inches + 2 inches = 87 inches)
- Before you buy, add up the total length of the table and chairs combined. Remember to add 4 inches (minimum) to this length for the distance between the table and each chair.
- Don’t put any grouping behind your couch that extends more than 6 inches on either side, so it stays balanced.
- Keep the table, console, chest height below the height of your couch cushions, but preferably no taller than the back of the couch.
- The chairs should not be taller than the couch! You don’t want to the chairs to tower over the couch.
- Pick finishes and fabrics that are complementary to BOTH rooms.
Can you see how useful this space is versus just having a table or bookcase behind the couch?
Kitchen Sitting Area Against a Wall or in a Corner
This follows the same basic principles. MEASURE – that piece I need to repeat and repeat. It’s key to making it all fit and look great.
- Consider the space around the area. Can people comfortably sit and others can walk around them?
- Do you have chairs in a dining area or at a desk that may need to be pulled out and interfere with this space?
- When measuring, always add the total of the chairs and table plus 2 inches between the table and each chair. You can see mine are close to the table!
- Lay a tape measure on the floor with the total measurements. Can you walk around comfortably – even with people sitting in the chairs?
7 Kitchen Sitting Area Styles
This is the fun part! Choosing your style. It’s really fun for me because I can decorate in my mind and not spend a dime. This post contains affiliate links, but each collection I personally curated for you!
Hover your cursor over each individual item and click to see where to purchase. Hit the back button to be returned to this post!
Just because I love that you were inspired enough to get through all of the options, I made a Pinterest graphic for you! Please pin this so you can revisit it later because I know you are going to measure first 🙂
Make time for those who are important in your life. There is nothing better than entertaining the ones you care about in your home! I hope you find space for a little kitchen sitting area and add your own personal style.